- 4 Tbsp butter or EVOO
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup half & half
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup roasted green chile, chopped (or more)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar + 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 2 pie crusts; I use pilsbury refrigerated ready-made pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush bottom & sides of cast iron skillet with vegetable oil.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter or heat EVOO over medium-high heat. Cook the celery, onion, and garlic until they begin to soften
- Lower heat to medium. Stir constantly while adding flour. Stir until flour is absorbed and lightly toasted in color.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth while whisking to incorporate flour. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Add half and half and stir to combine.
- After 3-4 minutes, remove from heat and stir in chopped chicken and green chile.
- Unroll one pie crust and place in bottom of the skillet, then pour in the filling.
- Spread 1 cup shredded cheddar on top of filling.
- Unroll the second crust on top. Seal crusts together by pinching together or pressing with a fork.
- Cut vents into the top crust then brush with egg wash. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until crust is golden.